Sunday, October 26, 2008

Old Rasputin Clone

Pretty much followed the recipe from the books and magazines. This being my first commercial clone, I can't wait to see if the outcome is anything like the real thing.

North Coast's Old Rasputin is a wonderful rich and creamy smooth high alcohol stout, and fantastic on draft. It's not too heavy like other imperial brews, which allows for the enjoyment of more than one...especially because it goes down like silk...or like a tall glass of chocolate milk.

There's a couple differences in my ingredients...hops and dark crystal malt. Substituting Centennial in place of Cluster for bittering shouldn't effect it much at all, but swapping Perle for Northern Brewer may be noticeable. I would guess the hop flavor and aroma may come through more with a sharper quality from Perle.

The recipe called for Crystal 120L. I ordered Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal 155-165L malt a while ago, so it'll work just fine.

Also, I'm not sure if the Chocolate and Roasted Barley are supposed to be American or British. Here, I'm going with British.

Overall, I'm very happy with the brewday. Hitting both the mash temp and OG is great, and it smelled very good and rich. not a whole lot of roasted barley in it, but I don't recall The Old Rasputin having much roasted notes anyways. Also, the yeast is happy at a solid 68°F.

Old Rasputin Clone

Grains
14. lb. Organic 2-Row
1.0 lb. British Caramalt/Carastan 30L
1.0 lb. British Crystal 160L
.50 lb. British Brown Malt
.50 lb. British Chocolate Malt
.25 lb. British Roasted Barley


Hops
1 oz. Centennial, 9.5%, pellet, 75+min
1 oz. Centennial, 9.5%, pellet, 75+min
1 oz. Perle, 5.7%, pellet, 2min
1 oz. Centennial, 9.5%, pellet, 2min


Yeast
Wyeast 1056: American Ale huge yeast cake

Brew Day Stats

Brewed: 10/26/08
Racked: just primary
Bottled: 11/9/08

Water Adjustment:
Strike: 1 tsp Gypsum, .25 Acid Blend, 1 tsp Chalk
2nd Sparge: 1 tsp CaCl, 1 tsp Chalk

H2O/Grain Ratio: 1 qt/lb
Mash Ph: acidic hard to read
Sacch. Rest Temp/Time: 152°F/60min
Mash Out Temp/Time: 166°F/10min
1st Batch Vol/SG: 4.15gal/1.076

2nd Batch Sparge H2OTemp/MashTemp: 184°F/169°F
2nd Batch Vol/SG: 3.1gal/1.040

Pre-Boil Vol: 7.25gal
Pre-Boil SG: 1.060
Boil Time: over 120min
Post-Boil Vol: shy of 5gal
Mash Efficiency: 75%

OG: 1.095
IBU: 69
Color/SRM: black/41
Ferment Temp: 68°F

FG: 1.026
ABW: 7.25%
ABV: 9.1%

4 comments:

Alchemist said...

I tried out your recipe this past weekend with a minor tweak down (1.086 SG) due to capacity concerns. Came out nice. How is yours doing and tasting? Thanks for having the recipe up. Too few Rasputin clones out there. Did it match up well in your opinion?

Ted Danyluk said...

Alchemist, I have limited mashing capacity, so I had to boil the wort for over two hours. This long boil may result in a different taste...perhaps more intense caramelized flavors?

I kegged most of it, and it will be served at our annual New Years Party. I have 12 bottled where 3 got spiked with espresso, and 3 got blended with a small amount of brett aged old ale. These were only bottle a week ago, so I haven't tried one yet.

However, at a tasting event with my beers, a guest accidentally opened a bottle reserved as a gift for the host that evening, so we did end up sampling a sip or two, and it seems to have come out pretty good. A little bit hoppy, but an overall smooth flavor and balance. I'll write more about it in another few weeks.

This is the only recipe I've ever found for Old Rasputin, and I pretty much copied it. Knowing that the gravity would be lower, did you change the recipe some? I'd like to know how yours turns out as well, especially with a lighter gravity. Thanks.

Alchemist said...

It turns out I need not have reduced the grain bill as I rebuilt a larger mash tun and sparger and was then not even 1/2 to capacity. But, I pulled the hops back about 10% since the SG was projected to be lower. Heck, it's still going to be 8.7% or so. No slouch there. Aside from that, I agree, it is a bit up there in hops, but I think it will balance out very well as it ages.

I plan on kegging most of it, but will pull off 1 gallon for a whiskey soaked toasted oak aging experiment.

I'll report back how that goes if you like.

Russ said...

Tried this out using some pretty shoddy mashing techniques (I'm a very new brewer). Beer still turned out great. Possibly a bit too much unfermentable sugars left in the beer due to temperature problems during the mash (my fault). Did a second batch with proper temperature control and the fermenter air cap bubbled like CRAZY for about 2 days straight. I think I may have gotten it right this time. I just need to be careful when I drink it cause this thing is gonna be STRONG. I'm expecting maybe about 10% abv cause I snuck in a little more of the 2 row barley (about 2 pounds). I used a slightly different mash procedure. Did 30 min at 104 F, 30 min at 145 F, and 30 min at 152 F. Then for the sparge I did about 168 F for about 45 min. Other than that everything is exactly as this recipe calls for. We'll see how it comes out. I bottle tonight! I'm excited cause the first batch, done wrong, still came out delicious. :)